Research & Development Internship
3 Star Lettuce is a direct to farmer conventional, certified organic and controlled environment agriculture seed company that specializes in developing, producing and marketing quality lettuce and specialty crop seed varieties of all types. Our success is measured by the success of our customers and we have risen to the top as the preferred local, direct sales seed company. Our extensive research and development program is bridged to commercial sales through an active Product Development program that introduces new varieties and products to our partner farmers with a high level of customer service to exceed the expectations of our customers.
We are looking for employees that fit into the 3 Star culture and want to have an impact on our growth and success. We believe in and are committed to solving the ever changing challenges of our customers through developing Lettuce, Specialty Lettuce, Greens and Spinach varieties that are adapted to the customer’s growing region and changing environmental pressures.
Location: Salinas Valley & San Joaquin Valley
The Internship: In this role, the intern will receive pragmatic seed breeder training, providing talent pool for our company moving forward. This internship offers real world education for the next generation of vegetable plant breeders. This role provides hands on assistance to our onion, lettuce and celery breeding programs, assists and supports the breeding operation with the collection and preservation of data and assists in trial and nursery seeding and evaluation as directed by team leader.
- San Joaquin Nursery Bolting Notes
Other Skills and Abilities
- Bi-lingual in English/Spanish preferred
- Must have excellent written, verbal interpersonal and cross-cultural skills to communicate and work with everyone, from the field, warehouse, to customers, team-members, and management.
- Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from customers, team members, and managers.
- Must have the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Solve practical problems
- Able to troubleshoot and problem-solve in a professional and timely
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e., Word and Excel).
- Must understand overall Company priorities and work in a collaborative way to support the highest overall Company profitability.
- Must be a team player with a can-do attitude and be goal
- Must work well with minimal supervision, take initiative, and be a self-
- Must have reliable, predictable attendance and
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment, have excellent communication and organizational skills and great attention to detail.
- This position requires the ability to work well under pressure, be flexible and meet Company goals and deadlines.