Product Development Representative
3 Star Lettuce is a direct to farmer conventional, certified organic and controlled environment agriculture seed company that specializes in developing, producing and marketing quality lettuce and specialty crop seed varieties of all types. Our success is measured by the success of our customers and we have risen to the top as the preferred local, direct sales seed company. Our extensive research and development program is bridged to commercial sales through an active Product Development program that introduces new varieties and products to our partner farmers with a high level of customer service to exceed the expectations of our customers.
We are looking for employees that fit into the 3 Star culture and want to have an impact on our growth and success. We believe in and are committed to solving the ever changing challenges of our customers through developing Lettuce, Specialty Lettuce, Greens and Spinach varieties that are adapted to the customer’s growing region and changing environmental pressures.
Location: Desert Southwest
The Role: The Product Development Representative will be responsible for working directly with the sales team regarding all aspects of developing interest and adaptability to the seed market on Lettuce varieties.
Areas of Responsibility: This role will be engaged and oversee, but is not limited to:
• Work directly with Sales Team
• Develop and Execute Trialing Program
• Computerize and distribute all trial maps
• Monitor all trials
• Evaluate all trials & communicate with sales department
• Develop Season review report
• Assists in developing planting guides with pictures and descriptions
• Manage Inventory of all trial seed
• Assist other departments as time permits
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• 2 or 4 year degree in a related field to agriculture (crop science etc.) or 2-3 plus years of experience in similar field. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Ability to resolve issues effectively in a professional and timely manner
• Able to evaluate/analyze data accurately and consistently
• Highly computer literate and experience Microsoft family of software
• Bi-lingual in English/Spanish
• Strong verbal, written and communication skills
• Ability to manage a variable work schedule around the crop needs
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
• Must have a current Driver’s License and a clean DMV driving record
• Ability to travel to the Coast (Salinas) during the summer months. 2 weeks in
Salinas, 1 week back in Yuma. This travel will primarily during the Summer
• Good social skills and ability to develop long term industry relationships
• Self-motivated and able to work independently with a great attention to detail
• Enjoys working with people and being part of a long term healthy culture.
Physical demands and Work Environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters and must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Physical Demands: The job requires the climbing of ladders, and the ability to walk in and step around growing crops. The employee is occasionally required to stand, bend, lift, walk and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; weather conditions and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.