Production Representative – San Joaquin Valley
3 Star Lettuce is a direct to farmer conventional, certified organic and controlled environment agriculture seed company that specializes in developing, producing and marketing quality lettuce and specialty crop seed varieties of all types. Our success is measured by the success of our customers and we have risen to the top as the preferred local, direct sales seed company. Our extensive research and development program is bridged to commercial sales through an active Product Development program that introduces new varieties and products to our partner farmers with a high level of customer service to exceed the expectations of our customers.
We are looking for employees that fit into the 3 Star culture and want to have an impact on our growth and success. We believe in and are committed to solving the ever changing challenges of our customers through developing Lettuce, Specialty Lettuce, Greens and Spinach varieties that are adapted to the customer’s growing region and changing environmental pressures.
Location: Salinas, California
The Role:The Production Representative will be responsible in assisting all phases of Seed Production. Interaction with Production Manager and Assistant Manager as well as other departments within 3 Star Lettuce is vital to the success of this position. This position reports to the Production Manager.
Areas of Responsibility: This role will be engaged and oversee, but is not limited to:
- Assist in all phases of Seed Production Pre-planning:
- Soil Sampling
- Production Meeting
- Ground Prep
- Field Mapping
- Stock Seed Organization
- Assist in all Phases of Seed Production Planting & Growing:
- Growing (Gemination/Thinning/Deheading/Stripping/Topping)
- Rouging (Quality/Seed Color/Disease)
- Assist in all phases of Seed Harvest (Mechanical/Manual):
- Pre-Harvest (Organizing next day harvest equipment/supply needs)
- Organize FLC harvest crews
- Oversee FLC harvest crews
- Post-Harvest (Pick up and Tag All Seed/Store Seed)
- Assist in all phases of Equipment Maintenance during the off season
- Responsible for Monitoring, Reporting and maintaining all Aphid Traps
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with customers, team members that reflect a reputation for professional communications, service, trust, integrity, reliability, attention to detail and urgency.
- Works effectively and collaborates as a team member and promotes a positive Company image.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- This job oversees FLC crews
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Knowledge of seed production and equipment maintenance is desired
- Good social skills and ability to develop long term industry relationships
- Ability to resolve issues effectively in a professional and timely manner
- Able to evaluate/analyze data accurately and consistently
- Must be highly motivated and able to work independently with great attention to detail
- Bi-lingual in English/Spanish preferred
- Must have a clean DMV (driving record)
- Must be able to work in a team environment
Language & Communication Skills
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the ability to communicate effectively in all circumstances, including over the phone, email and in person.
- Must have excellent written, verbal interpersonal and cross-cultural skills to communicate and work with everyone, from the field, warehouse, to customers, team-members, and management.
- Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from customers, team members, and managers.
- Must have the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Solve practical problems
- Deal with a variety of variables in situations and determine which option is the best suitable and profitable given the circumstances at hand
- Able to troubleshoot and problem-solve in a professional and timely manner.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have working knowledge of Microsoft Office (i.e., Word and Excel) and Internet software.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must understand overall Company priorities and work in a collaborative way to support the highest overall Company profitability.
- Must be a team player with a can-do attitude and be goal driven.
- Must work well with minimal supervision, take initiative, and be a self-starter.
- Must have reliable, predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment, have excellent communication and organizational skills and great attention to detail.
- This position requires the ability to work well under pressure, be flexible and meet Company goals and deadlines.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
- This position performs the duties in the following environments: Warehouse, Mill and Office which are subject to hot and cold temperatures and a wide variance of noise
- In this position, the employee will sit at a desk and operate a computer, and keyboard; hear; talk; stand; walk; have visual acuity to review and prepare written documentation
- Have the ability to understand speech at normal room levels and on the telephone
- Have manual dexterity to operate a telephone and computer
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and color vision
- This position requires the employee to lift up to 50 lbs. horizontally and vertically, bend, stoop, stand, twist, and reach
- This position may require working outside of normal business hours.